EN ISO 20471: THE EUROPEAN STANDARD FOR HIGH VISIBILITY WORK CLOTHING
High-visibility protective clothing must comply with EN ISO 20471, the European standard for high-visibility clothing. This standard is divided into classes, depending on the degree of visibility/reflectivity.
EN ISO 20471 REPLACES EN 471
EN ISO 20471 replaces EN 471. The main difference is that the new requirements better reflect actual circumstances. A number of quality requirements have also been tightened in this new standard for reflective clothing. In accordance with the new standard, only the highest quality reflective bands may be used. The durability and water tightness of the material is also assessed.
The main differences between EN ISO 20471 and EN 471:
- When this standard was revised, a number of safety requirements were tightened.
- The fabric is tested for color fastness both when new and after at least 5 washes.
- Class 3 garments can only be certified if the upper body is provided with reflective bands and fluorescent fabric, including the sleeves and/or legs. The instructions for incorporating these materials have been adjusted. They now indicate where and how the materials should be used in the garment, where complete encircling of the torso, arms and legs ensures increased visibility from all angles. The distribution of these materials over the front and back of the clothing is 50/50, with a maximum deviation of 10%.
- The strict requirements which fluorescent material or reflective material had to meet in the old standard regarding, for example, colorfastness, reflection, luminance, color fastness to perspiration, tear resistance and strength, now also apply to the contrast material.
- The icons used for standardization have been modified.
High-visibility clothing is available in three different colors:
Rijkswaterstaat, the Dutch government authority which is part of the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment, sets additional color requirements.
According to EN ISO 201471, high-visibility work clothing is classified in three different classes, which each indicate the protection level of the reflective clothing for different situations.
Class 1 high-visibility clothing can be used in situations with a low risk of collisions and accidents. Class 1 high- visibility clothing is not suitable for work on public roads, but is suitable for work in full or partial daylight within a company’s premises. Maximum traffic speed 30 km/h.
Class 2 work clothing provides good visibility for roadworks, courier services and twilight work. Class 2 high- visibility clothing is suitable for work on public roads with a maximum traffic speed of 50 km/h.
Class 3 high-visibility clothing is mandatory when working in the dark. Visible at traffic speeds up to 90 km/h. This optimum visibility greatly reduces the risk of accidents.
Work clothing can also be provided with combined certification, where we look at a combination of garments and the total amount of reflective material present. Work clothing can sometimes be classified in a higher class in these circumstances. However, this classification only applies to the combination of garments, and not the individual items.
GOOD TO KNOW
Companies often want their logo printed on work clothing. High-visibility work clothing must meet strict requirements, so putting a logo on reflective clothing is subject to rules. With our expertise, we can help you in this process, so that your company meets all the requirements without sacrificing appearance.
Clothing covered by this standard requires special maintenance. It must be cleaned (washed and dried) professionally, otherwise the quality of the clothing and reflective capacities may suffer.
HIGH VISIBILITY WORK CLOTHING FOR EVERY PROFESSIONAL
Tricorp is work clothing for every professional. And that also means High Visibility workwear for every professional. Tricorp Safety is introduced as a new label. The aim of this label is to create a better distinction in the different types of workwear Tricorp has in its collection. The multinorm work clothing will also fall under this label. Multi Norm work clothing is clothing that meets the highest technical requirements and aims to offer optimal protection against risks from the work environment.